Earlier this week I let you lovely things on the next big hear trend soon to hit the UK, feather hair extensions. If you have looked up the trend at all you will notice that it can be quite an expensive one to follow, especially if you go down the professional route. Well we can all be professionals and save ourselves some money by making and fitting our own feather hair extensions at home.
I mentioned earlier in the week that your nearest outdoor activities shop was a useful resource in finding gorgeous feathers in the form of fishing flies, but you will also find feathers cheap on auction sites such as ebay. You will also need fishing line, pliers and silicone-lined beads (which are widely available).
1) Firstly, decide where you would like your feather extensions to go. Play around with the positioning placing a loose feather at different points to help you decide. For a more dramatic look place the feathers in the top layers of the hair and for a more subtle look place the feathers in the bottom layers of the hair.
2) Make a loop with the fishing line and thread that loop through the bead. It’s really hard to explain that so I have put a little picture for you to show you how easy it actually is.
3) Pull a small section of hair through the fishing line loop and then through the bead. Make sure yu thread the hair through the bead right up to the roots.
4) Insert the tips of the feathers into the bead – between one and three feathers will fit inside one bead. Take the pliers, needle-nose are best, and clamp down on the bead which fixes the feathers in place.
5) And there you have it, you now have some lovely feather hair extensions that can last for weeks or months depending on how well you care for them. They can be straightened, curled and washed so enjoy them however you like.
6) The added bonus of making them yourself they are easy to remove by simply clamping the bead in the other direction and they will slide easily off. Hurray!!
This is your friendly neighbourhood hair guru signing off...until next time citizens